There was a ferry service between the Island of Maui to the Island of Molokai. This ferry service operated between the two islands. It was located at Lahaina harbor on Maui and Kaunakakai on Molokai. Travel time was approximately 1 hour 45 minutes. Ferry service for Molokai was provided by Sea Link of Hawaii.
THE LAST DAY OF MOLOKAI FERRY SERVICE WAS THURSDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2016
The travel time, cost, weather and rough channel were a big part of the ferry service challenge. An hour and 45 minutes was a long trip.
The channel between Molokai - Kaunakakai Harbor and Lahaina Harbor - Maui is known as the Kalohi Channel or Lahaina Roads.
1. There is a ferry service to the island of Lanai. The Lanai ferry service does not go to Molokai. When traveling via ferry be aware of the time it takes to travel between the islands and the condition of the channel. Ferry service for Lanai is provided by Expeditions.
2. Keep in mind that the channel can be rough. The trades winds are generally a daily occurrence and they create waves and high surf.
3. During whale season the ferry is very likely to pass a whale, a pod of whales or a mother whale with her baby and some male escorts.
4. Watch carefully in transit, there are dolphin pods in the route.
5. The ferry does not transport vehicles.
6. Hawaii does not have inter-island ferry service for vehicles.
Discontinued - Interisland ferry service Lahaina on Island of Maui to Kaunakakai, Island of Molokai.